If the erection has weakened ... What to do with a decrease in potency.
Erection problems are familiar to many men, especially those over 40. What are the causes of a weak erection and what can be done about it?
Weak erection: norm or pathology?
A decrease in erectile function can manifest itself in different ways. This definition also includes an erection that is insufficient for sexual intercourse, and an inability to maintain a stable erection for its completion, and a complete lack of erection, as well as a decrease in libido.
From time to time, almost everyone faces the problem of weak erection. Fatigue, anxiety, illness, quarrels with a partner do not contribute to "mood". Nor is it strange that a hefty dose of alcohol interferes with the process. But we can talk about the weakening of an erection as a systemic problem if out of four attempts to enter into a relationship one ends in failure.
You can't ignore a weak erection, and it's not just the psychological side of the issue. Sometimes a weakening of erection is the first sign of a serious illness that is best identified and treated early.
Why do men have erection problems?
All the reasons due to which an erection weakens can be very conditionally divided into two groups - psychological and physiological. If we compare a person with a computer, then the first means a problem in the software, and the second - in the "hardware".
Psychological reasons include
- Stress (of any origin: due to work, conflict, insecurity, or fear of the future).
- Chronic fatigue caused by hard work.
- The so-called failure expectation syndrome, when, faced with a weak erection once, a man begins to panic fear of a repeat of failure and thereby exacerbates the problem.
- Neuroses, depression, sub-depressive states. These reasons border on physiological ones, since depression is not always caused by psychological reasons; various disorders in the work of the central nervous system or the endocrine system can also lead to it.
Physiological causes of weak erections include
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Disorders in the work of the spinal cord and brain.
- Hormonal imbalance (primarily thyroid disease).
- Side effects of certain medications, mainly drugs for lowering blood pressure, antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, antidepressants and hormonal drugs, and steroids.
- Leading an unhealthy lifestyle - addiction to alcohol, smoking and even more drugs, excess weight due to improper diet, a sedentary lifestyle, which leads to poor circulation.
- Diseases of the prostate gland.
By the way
Sometimes a weak erection is the result of a combination of psychological and physiological problems, but this situation is rare. This mixed type accounts for only 5% of all cases.
What to do if an erection has weakened
According to medical statistics, erection problems "get younger" from year to year. Today, about 10% of young men experience a weak erection from time to time, and after 40 years, every second complains about this trouble. At the same time, only 20% go to doctors and start treatment. The majority prefer to “cope” with the problem on their own - to be nervous and relieve irritation on their partner, “flood” unpleasant thoughts and suspicions with alcohol, look for “folk” remedies (which are mostly either ineffective or dangerous), or even pretend that there is no problem not.
If you have problems with erection, the first step to solving them is not looking for advice on the Internet, but making an appointment with a urologist or andrologist. As already mentioned, a weak erection is a symptom of many dangerous diseases, from diabetes to cancer. The doctor will conduct the necessary examination - the choice of the diagnostic method depends on the general condition of the patient, complaints, history - and will identify the cause of a weak erection. Perhaps, in addition to the actual therapy, the specialist will advise you to reconsider your lifestyle - start moving more, change your diet, and give up bad habits. Despite all its banality, these are very good advice, and just following them can significantly improve the patient's condition.
There are also specific methods for improving erection, which can be used only after consulting a doctor.
This includes all sildenafil or tadalafil-based male power pills. Typically, these products improve blood flow to the pelvic organs, increase blood pressure, and make an erection possible. You should be aware that these drugs do not cure an erection, but only mask the problem for several hours - as soon as the action of the pill ends, the problems will return. Many patients note that resistance to these pills develops over time - that is, over time, in order to obtain an effect, the dose has to be increased. The drugs to enhance potency have an impressive list of contraindications, they can be especially dangerous for hypertensive patients, and they also have side effects. You cannot take them without consulting a doctor.
Traditional medicine tips
In our country, trust in folk remedies is traditionally very high. Some recipes are really not meaningless - herbs that are used in traditional medicine contain useful substances. But it is difficult for a layman to distinguish an effective recipe from a completely ineffective herbal collection. In addition, some methods can be dangerous.
Folk remedies for male strength include decoctions and infusions of ginseng, lemongrass, thyme, hawthorn flowers, extracts from ginkgo biloba and yohimbe, as well as some other herbal preparations. Some herbs improve circulation and strengthen the cardiovascular system, while others contain high doses of zinc, which is necessary for men's health. They should not be considered as the basis of treatment - nevertheless, herbal decoctions are inferior to modern medicines in terms of effectiveness, they are not devoid of side effects (although it is generally accepted that any natural remedies are absolutely harmless), can cause allergies and give an undesirable reaction in combination with medicines. Check with your doctor and, if he does not find any contraindications, take them as adjunctive therapy.
When resorting to folk remedies, do not engage in amateur activities - buy them at a pharmacy where all products are certified. Asian "miracle pills" that some "entrepreneurs" bring from China and Thailand are pure charlatanism. No one knows what they are made of, and to date there have been many cases of severe poisoning with such pills.
Official medicine approaches
This is the most reliable group of methods and includes several tools. First of all, these are medicines - drugs that improve blood circulation and normalize blood pressure, anti-inflammatory drugs, and if the dysfunction is caused by psychological reasons, sedatives. The choice of medications directly depends on the causes of the problem, and the doctor will treat the underlying disease.
Exercise is also an effective method to improve erection. Physical activity normalizes the work of the heart and blood vessels, increases the level of endorphins - substances responsible for the feeling of joy, helps to reduce weight.
Prostate massage is also an effective treatment for weak erections if the problem lies in this particular organ. Inflammatory processes in the prostate gland are a very common problem, and prostate massage can help eliminate them.
To temporarily solve the problem, you can use vacuum-constrictor therapy, that is, a method of maintaining an erection using a vacuum cylinder. The cylinder is put on the penis, after which air is pumped out of the device. The vacuum dramatically improves the blood supply to the corpora cavernosa. After achieving an erection, an elastic ring is put on the base of the penis to prevent the outflow of blood. It is important to remember that the ring cannot be worn for more than half an hour, so that blood stagnation does not occur.
In recent years, shock wave therapy (shock wave therapy) has been used to treat weak potency. Do not be intimidated by the name - this is an absolutely painless non-surgical method in which sound waves of a certain length are exposed to the tissues. As a result, the scar tissue that has arisen due to impaired blood flow is resolved, and natural mechanisms of vascular restoration are triggered. After a course of treatment, the blood supply to the penis improves, the tissues become denser, and the erection is stable.
Surgical intervention is an extreme measure, but in some cases it is the only way to restore potency. The operation is performed to repair damaged arteries, to block the veins that carry blood away from the penis, or to have falloprosthetics.
Prevention of erection problems
The weakening of an erection over the years can be avoided if you adhere to simple rules.
- Healthy eating. Excess weight is an extra burden on the heart and blood vessels. Therefore, overweight people suffer from weak erections more often than slender people. Include in the diet foods rich in zinc and vitamin E, they are necessary for the normal functioning of the reproductive system.
- Quitting smoking and drinking. Smoking has a detrimental effect on blood vessels, and it doesn't matter if you smoke cigarettes or pipes. A lot has already been said about the dangers of alcohol. However, a glass of good red wine will not hurt, on the contrary, experts have already proven that in moderate quantities, red wine has a beneficial effect on the body. But the key word here is moderation. This means that one glass will have to be limited.
- Good dream . Constant lack of sleep is a scourge of residents of big cities, it affects not only potency, but also leads to chronic fatigue, metabolic disorders, depression, heart disease and neuroses.
- No stress. It is almost impossible to avoid them, but you can learn to react to everyday troubles more calmly. Psychotherapy, yoga and meditation classes will help here. Reduce nervousness rejection of stimulants such as coffee and energy, especially in the afternoon, as well as a well-established regimen will help.
- Health care. Do not neglect regular visits to the urologist, even if there are no problems. Visit him at least once a year, remember to get tested for STDs, dress for the weather and always use condoms - many infections also lead to erection problems.
- Preventing erection problems is much easier than treating them. The good news is that in the vast majority of cases, weak potency is curable. 95% of men who see a doctor on time return the joy of a full sexual life after undergoing a course of treatment.